Tuesday, July 13, 2010

An Alpha and An Omega for the Moment

Once upon a time all Episcopalian priests were men. Then, eleven women were ordained in Philadelphia, the City of Love. Upon hearing the news, some Episcopalians rejoiced. Others wailed and gnashed their teeth, but all that wailing and gnashing did no good. Women priests, at least Episcopalian women priests, will be around for a long, long time. After her ordination, the youngest woman priest set up church in Minnesota, made many friends, and wrote books and books of wonderful prose, gorgeous poetry. Alas, Minnesota turned out to be too flat for her soul, so she moved to Oregon to be near her beloved mountains. Because she was among the first to be ordained and was the youngest, she is the Alpha of my tale.

The Omega is my college friend. Hers was probably the most recent ordination, therefore she's probably the last woman to be ordained. Since she was my college friend and I'm an Old Baguette, she's probably the oldest woman to be ordained a priest. There will be many other ordinations, and once the Episcopalians discover that older women make terrific priests, many of the women being ordained will make my college friend seem middle aged. She won't be either the last or the oldest for long, but she's the Omega for the moment.

Now, in that tiny but attractive church, crammed with witnesses for the ordination of Omega, were two women who cherish the friendship of both Alpha and Omega. Thought they, the first and youngest to be ordained should know the last and oldest and vice versa. They introduced Omega to Alpha by e-mail, Alpha e-mailed Omega, Omega edified out of her mind e-mailed Alpha, and e-mails have been flying back and forth ever since. That is the story. It's short and simple, true, actually not much of a story at all, but isn't it lovely?

1 comment:

  1. Nice story! One thing I am dismayed about with some religions and some churches is how they think women unworthy of the clergy.

    My wife's parents church broke in two over the ordination of women in the United Presbyterian Church. My wife's parents went the revolting faction that believe a woman's place is to obey her husband. My wife was hurt with her parents decision.

    My wife is an elder in her particular Presbyterian church, and about 20 years ago my father-in-law, announces this little piece of trivia at one of their church social functions with some pride. The reaction was almost horrific. The minister gave my wife an extremely dirty look and never spoke another word to her after that. Some of the deacons and elders at this church still ignore and avoid my wife as though she is a pariah, and it has been almost 20 years.

    I find these attitudes extremely disheartening. I really do believe that God is equal opportunity and loves his daughters every bit as much as his sons.

    ReplyDelete