Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Times, They Aren't A-Changing

When I was a young Baguette, I knew a young man who knew a young priest. That young priest was a Catholique like me, not an Episcopalian like my college friend. Once you met him, you could not forget him. Like many a fellow with Irish roots, he was handsome, a wit, and a man of mischief. His pastor, his bishop, his archbishop appreciated the joy he spread about him. Now you'd think that his would be an easy life. You'd be mistaken. Whenever this usually merry young priest encountered a wrong, he determined to fix it. And he'd take on the authorities who appeared to be responsible. In the end, he usually won his battles, and in the process became a hero to many. And in the process, he drove his pastor, his bishop, and his archbishop crazy, absolutely crazy. Shall we ignore the effect he had on government officials?

I recently encountered the young man who knew this young priest. Naturally, I asked about him. It seems he was sent off to an extremely rural area for rest and recuperation. During the week, he follows the orders of his doctors, but then the weekends come. Here's what he does. He takes off for an even more rural area where he celebrates Mass at a Catholic church with a small but fussy ethnic population. He then goes down the street to the Episcopalian church. They have no priest, so he celebrates Mass Episcopalian style there. Who is he driving crazy now? Perhaps the authorities of both the Catholic and Episcopalian churches.

Since he hasn't changed, he remains my hero. And don't ask me where all this is taking place, because I don't know. Our mutual friend won't tell.

3 comments:

  1. Well I just spent better than an hour writing a comment. I will be late for work, but I was into it. I tried to post the comment and got an error that my text exceeded 4096 characters--a very binary number--2 raised to some power. So then I start hacking down my comment and tried to preview it. Hack, too long, hack, too long, hack some more, too long. I finally got it whittled down to the point that I was almost not willing to post it, so I tried once again. The screen flashed and then a message came up sorry we can not process your request. I hit the back button and my the sad remains of my hacked down comment was gone. 75 minutes of literary effort lost in the blogosphere. I will now get ready for work, which I should appear in 8 minutes. So I shall be making up time this afternoon for my lost comment. To say I am PO'd would be an understatement. 4096 characters be damned, I had more to say!

    Nice story on your priest, I will try to post my story again this evening on my blog if my crappy DSL is working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be it a lesson oh long winded ones...4096 character maximum on a comment. It is bad enough you can't edit the damn things. I wished the rotten bas----- would have mentioned that at the beginning of my comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted my long comment, gloriously longer than 4096 characters, at my blog:

    http://navfin.blogspot.com/2010/07/thetimes-perhaps-they-should-be-changin.html

    ReplyDelete