Monday, November 8, 2010

Are Nordic Poles Lutheran?

I haven't written any posts because I've spent the last week schussing up and down the corridors of Abbott Northwestern Hospital here in Minneapolis. I was the first person to use Nordic Poles instead of a cane, crutches, or walker, and I wowed 'em all! Doctors muttered, "I think I'll have my patients use those things!" One R.N. wanted to get a pair for her mother while another wanted to get a pair for herself. A respiration therapist from Tibet was reminded of home. Glaciers, snow, schussing, dangling from precipices, dodging crevasses. Oh to see the summit of Everest! Before my arrival patients were encouraged to take lengthy walks up and down corridors to build up endurance. I built up endurance by trekking. At first I was tethered to an oxygen tank, but I still huffed and puffed. After five days of trekking, I still puffed and huffed. But on the sixth day? I could breathe on my own. And now I am home, full of endurance.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are home and posting again, Ellen. Breathe deep and enjoy! --Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine are made in Lillyhammer (sure that's butchered) Norway. Most likely Lutheran. Despite my fall out with the Lutherans the poles still seem to work. Relieved to hear from you again. Keep schussing and stay the hell away from the docs!

    Thank you again for introducing me to the nordic poles.

    How in the hell did you drag around a oxygen tank while using the poles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. DzieƄ Dobry! As a Pole, we are definitely Catholic not Lutheran. Good to see you last night out running me with two Nordic Poles. Two are faster than one...

    ReplyDelete